If you are looking for a simple, more peaceful existence; one that reminds you of how things used to be, you will find it here. Ask a long time resident what they like best about Custer County and you will get the usual response….”the people”. Here, neighbors still take the time to get to know one another and are always ready to lend a helping hand. This small community is filled with kind hearted, friendly residents, as well as, all of life’s necessities.
Custer County School District C-1 offers quality education along with a variety of clubs and athletic activities such as Football, Basketball, Band, Drama, the Future Farmers of America and more.
The West Custer County Library District has an extensive collection of more than 10,000 books, videos, audio tapes, and toys.
It is a positive learning center complete with computers, internet access, periodicals, newspapers, and a variety of programs for children and adults.
Excellent medical attention is available at the Custer County Medical Center. The Clinic works in conjunction with Custer County Physical Therapy & Custer County Ambulance Corps. to provide for well visits, ongoing patient care and emergency medical needs.
Club America in Silver Cliff welcomes you to our family Health and Recreation Center. Whether you are a full or part-time resident or just visiting, we invite you to explore and enjoy our fitness facilities. You’ll find an Olympic-size swimming pool, a state-of-the-art strength-training/cardio fitness room, and a variety of great fitness classes in our aerobics/circuit training room.
Fire protection and wildfire education is tended to by a strong volunteer fire department, the Wet Mountain Fire Protection District.
Crime, although minimal, is well handled by the Custer County Sheriff’s Department.
The regional weather is pleasant with over 320 days of sunshine and an average precipitation of 16.5 inches per year. With low humidity, this semi-arid climate is similar to northern New Mexico. Snow usually melts within a few days and residents are able to enjoy the great outdoors year ’round.
It has been said that people move here because all their heros have always been cowboys. That much is true. There are real working cowboys in the county, but it is more than that. There is an easiness in the air. A casual attitude that says “Let’s enjoy this day” and they do just that. When you live in a place where many dream of vacationing, you take advantage of the unspoiled land. You hike with your dog on quiet trails. You cast your line for monster-sized fish in clean waters or try your hand at rock climbing. You spend time with your heros or just pause for a moment on a picturesque downtown street. When the town gathers for a joyful occasion like the rodeo or a music festival, everyone asks “How are you?” and genuinely want to know. We think it is because they are more relaxed here.
For The Community…
This is truly a community that cares. With a highly professional medical clinic, an alternative care center and a loving assisted living home, you can trust your family will be well taken care of.
The Wet Mountain Valley Rotary Club is also involved in local community support such as blood drives, Habitat for Humanity, medical lending, Rotary van for seniors & trips down the hill, and so much more.
For the Kids…
Children have plenty to do here in the valley. The county boasts a top notch daycare, a bowling alley, many athletic teams and a variety of clubs. You will notice that for every major festival and holiday something is planned for the little ones.
References to Local Offices and Resources
- Town of Westcliffe – www.townofwestcliffe.com
- Town of Silvercliff – www.silvercliffco.com
- Custer County Economic Development Corporation – www.ccEconDevC.com
- Custer County www.custercountygov.com
- Custer County School District C-1 –
- Hanssen Haus Resource Center – (Veterans Service Office and Magic Moment/Parents as Teachers) – (719) 783-9470
- West Custer County Library – www.westcusterlibrary.org
- Colorado Department of Labor & Employment – www.yourworkforcecenter.com
- Upper Arkansas Area Council of Governments – www.uaacog.com/
- US Forest Service – (719) 783-2079
- Sheriff’s Department – (719) 783-2270
- Sheriff, Fire & Ambulance – (719) 783-2443
- Wetmore Volunteer Fire Department – (719) 783-3130
- Wet Mountain Fire Protection District – (719) 783-9245
US Post Offices
- Hillside – (719) 783-0800
- Westcliffe/Silver Cliff – (719) 783-2453
- Wetmore – (719) 784-3205
Local Business Guides
- Cliffs Commercial District – http://thecliffscolorado.com
- Community United Methodist Church – www.cumcwestcliffe.org
- First Baptist Church – www.firstbaptistwestcliffe.com
- Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church – (719) 783-9773
- Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Church – (719) 783-3507
- St. Luke’s Episcopal Church – (719) 783-2477
- Valley Bible Fellowship – (719) 783-9050
- Wild West Cowboy Church –